Military permit


As you know, visiting the unopened area only with the TTB permit is not enough. Military Permit is additional needed if your itinerary included some military sensitive places, including Ngari (Mt. Kailash, Lake Manasarovar, etc), Nyingchi (Pomi, Rawu, etc.) and some remote places in Shannan area. For Tholing and Tsaparang in western Tibet you will also need a permit from the local Cultural Antiquities Department.

Please note that if you are planning to visit some military sensitive areas or Tibet border such as Mt Kailash and eastern Tibet also require a military permit and a foreign-affairs permit. Besides the places such as Nagri, Nyingchi or some ares in Shannan, there are some overland tours to Lhasa from Chengdu or Yunnan or Xining or Xinjiang Province, also the Military permits are needed, most importantly, you are going to need the military permit before you start your overland tour, not upon your arrival in Lhasa.

The Military permit is applied through travel agency before you entering Tibet and issued by the Military office in Lhasa. It is absolutely needed for travel to Ngari, Nyingchi (outside Nyingchi township) and Nagqu prefecture which are regarded as military sensitive areas.

For visiting sites like Yarlung Tsangpo Gorges at Nyingchi area or Lamo Latso Lake at Shannam area, please note that the permit for visiting there usually would not be granted. Most of the time those places are closed to foreign foreigners. But for other places in Tibet, even Nagri area, no problem at all. 

So any of those places mentioned above included in your tour package, we will arrange all the necessary permits for you.

The Military permit arrangement procedures takes about 2 weeks, so if and of those sites included in your travel itinerary, you are highly suggested to plan the trip at least 30 days prior the departure date.

The military permit itself is free of charge but the whole arrangement procedures takes a long time and the travel agency needs to do a lot of errands to get it. Although it would lead to some running cost, but as long as you confirmed one of those tour with them, the tour package should already included the permit arrangement, so it is part of our job to get it for you. :P

Areas Require Military Permit

  1. Ngari: all the places you will visit such as Mt. Kailash, Lake Manasorovar etc.
  2. Nyingchi: all the places you will visit such as Draksumtso, Pomi etc.
  3. Chamdo: all the places you will visit such as Chamdo, Riwoche etc.

Note: If you take a flight to Ngari from Lhasa, Urumqi or Kashgar, you will have to have Tibet Military Permit. Overlanding trip from Sichuan, Yunnan, Xinjiang or Qinghai to Tibet also require Tibet Military Permit.

What does a Military permit look like:

Note: The permit situation is subject to rapid and unpredictable change. Contact us directly to get the current situation at once.

Related articles
Border Permit Foreign tourists are required to apply for a Border Area Travel Permit if they plan to travel to Medog, Zham, Gro Mo, Tingri, Ngari. Travel agencies can apply for the permit.
How to apply for Tibet Entry Permit? Why do we need Tibet Permit to visit Tibet?According to Chinese law, and to protect the centuries-old cultural relics, the fragile environment and respect the t
Important Issues about Tibet Permit Important issues about Tibet permit: It's advisable to apply for your travel permit at least 15 days prior to your entry date. After you confirm your tour,
What's required for Tibet Permit? Please note that there are two documents required for foreign tourists who want to travel in Tibet. One is the Chinese Visa, which you can apply for in Chinese Embassy in your place. Another is the Tibet Permit issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau.
What is Tibet Permit? Visiting Tibet is not easy for a lot of Non-Chinese passport holders. Tibet Travel Permit, or Tibet Entry Permit, is foremost and compulsory for foreign passport holders to enter Tibet. When the idea of visiting Tibet occur to you, you can not just board on a train or flight and directly go visit Tibet.
What is Alien's Travel Permit? Aliens' Travel Permit, compared with Tibet Entry Permit, is not the must to enter Tibet. However it’s indeed a must for foreigners to visit the areas outside Lhasa, like Shigatse, Shannan, Nyingchi, etc.

Other Recommended Tour Packages

4 Days Holy City Lhasa Tour
4 Days Holy City Lhasa Tour
This classic 4 days city tour offers the chance for those who has tight schedule. It reveals all of the best sights, sounds, and smells of Lhasa.
Read More
6 Days Tibet Golden Route Tour
6 Days Tibet Golden Route Tour
Besides holy city Lhasa, this tour could take you to the “Heroic Town” Gyantse and Tibet’s second largest city Shigatse.
Read More
8 Days Everest Base Camp Tour
8 Days Everest Base Camp Tour
This most popular 8 days Everest Base Camp adventure tour begins in Lhasa with its historic Potala Palace and monasteries.
Read More