The following is a warm reminder from Zhongba County Tourism Development Committee: on August 11, 2018, due to heavy rainfall at around 0:30AM, at the spot of 1567 KM of the 219 National Highway (Zhongba County area) road section had a debris flow. This natural disaster caused some damage to the road and the vehicles from Payang town to Zhongba county and reverse are all banned. The road urgent repair work is in progress, and the time for the reopen of the road would be announced in due time.
July and August is the peak season for Tibet tourism, also the rainy season in Tibet. Continuous heavy rain caused mudslides in Zhongba County, and roads had been cut off, no vehicles can pass through. So vehicles passing through this section of the road need to do a detour to ensure safety.
Road disruption at Zhongba
Here are some suggestions from Zhongba County Traffic Police Brigade about how to drive safely in rainstorm weather:
1. When driving on wet and slippery road, please lower the speed, keep the safe distance from the car in front of you, brake or decelerate in advance to avoid emergency braking and emergency steering, in order to prevent the danger of sideslip.
2. No over speed on rainy days. Slow down and observe the road ahead from time to time so that emergency response can be taken to ensure traffic safety.
3. When passing through the ponding road, you should follow the route the vehicle driving ahead of you. If the road condition or water depth is not clear, please stop the car to check or do a detour instead.
4. The road is slippery in rainy days and the view is not clear. We must control the speed and keep enough safe distance. We should not neglect even driving on the most familiar road. In rainy days, sudden turning, sudden braking is easy to cause sideslip. The water splash also might block your sight when there is a car passing by, be extra cautious. Better not to overtake, fast speed drive might get the car out of control, a safe driving speed could allow you more time to dodge other vehicle in case of sudden situation.
5. Drivers should turn on fog light, dipped headlight and outline lights when driving on rainstorm weather. Drive safe and steady and adjust the wiper gear accordingly. Pay attention to braking, lighting and tire operation. If necessary, take shelter from rain is suggested.
6. Continuous cloudy and rainy are prone to natural disasters such as landslides and debris flows. When vehicles are driving on mountain roads, pay attention to the warning signs, try to avoid the sections where landslides and debris flows often occur.Drive slowly and carefully observe the road conditions, drive off as soon as possible when it is still safe to drive through.
7. When passing bridges or mountain roads in heavy rain, it is necessary to hold the steering wheel tightly so as to avoid potential dangers caused by crosswind, and to avoid the tree branches and billboards to prevent accidents.